Tuesday 16 December 2014

DropShip 6mm Prototype

I had a gift certificate from Shapeways, and this came in the post this morning.



The 'Frosted Ultra Detail' material is a nightmare to photograph. If you click on the picture you'll get the original full size photo and you can see a bit more.

This was printed in two sections (cockpit, and the rest). Each piece is hollow and simply pushed together by means of a hexagonal boss and matching hole.

You'll have to take my word for it that I can just see all the panel lines, and even the engine intake turbine blades! There is a little bit of stepping on the curved sections of the hull, but nothing to worry about. There are a couple of areas where I shall make changes, probably make the panel lines and a couple of things more prominent so they show up at this scale. Also, I forgot to put a flight stand mounting hole on the underside!

Then I'll have to start looking at getting it cast.

Quite pleased with this.

1 comment: